Women in their 40’s have life experience in spades; smart tips on career, parenting, love, friendship and travel are always ready to be shared. There are usually a few memorable tales of unforgettable adventures to be told too!
When it comes to beauty, whether it’s a barbeque with friends and family, day at work, or shopping catch up with a bestie, women - regardless of age like to look their best. As women go from their 30’s to 40’s their bodies change, and it’s important to look after themselves inside and out. Regular exercise, a healthy balanced diet, drinking lots of water, focusing on a wellness practice such as meditation and 7-8 hours of sleep a night all help towards giving bodies the best opportunity to shine.
By the time women hit their 40’s, they have a beauty regime they’re pretty comfortable with. As women age, their skin matures and it’s at this point that a few tweaks can be made to skincare and make-up routines to conceal pigmentation, dark circles plus to hydrate dry or dehydrated skin, and minimise appearance of fine lines. For the most part changes to skin occur due to the loss of collagen and elasticity. It’s therefore a good idea to re-evaluate beauty products that are used, as well as make-up looks and techniques to combat skin changes and to continue walking out the door each day feeling confident and happy.
We’ve come up with the following make-up tips for the over 40’s:
1) Primer: After using a hydrating moisturiser, and sunscreen, prepping with a make-up primer is next. Primers are created to provide a smooth, even base for make-up and to help extend wear. A primer such as our Perfecting Primer is a great choice because it is composed of moisturising ingredients including Vitamin E, plus it restores freshness and helps fight visible signs of ageing including key ingredient Green Tea.
You can also use an eye primer to create an even base for eye make-up application. Our Perfecting Eye Primer helps extend eye make-up wear plus smoothes and tightens the eye area. The eye primer is enriched with an Oat derived anti-aging ingredient known for its tightening and anti-wrinkle properties.
2) Foundation: Here the aim should be to use a foundation product that covers any pigmentation, doesn’t settle in fine lines and wrinkles, plus is composed of skin nourishing ingredients to ensure against drying your skin, with a light - medium coverage. It’s also a good idea to look for a long-wearing foundation that will provide a luminous, radiant finish.
We have two foundation recommendations that are both ideal options for women in their 40’s, and suitable for all skin types including sensitive skin. The first is our Luminous Sheer Liquid Foundation. It’s a hydrating, sheer liquid foundation that evens out the complexion, enhances skin radiance and is composed of skin nourishing ingredients that help fight visible signs of ageing with a light - medium coverage. The second option is our Radiant Loose Powder Foundation. This loose mineral powder foundation has been a crowd favourite since it first launched nearly 10 years ago. The feather-light SPF 15 formula adapts naturally to skin tones, evens out the complexion, covers redness and pigmentation and is composed of active natural ingredients including Jojoba Esters and Kaolin Clay. Best of all, it feels amazing on the skin!
3) Concealer: A concealer is a versatile beauty product for women of any age! They are great to have both in the beauty bag at home, as well as in the handbag for on the go touch ups. A concealer can be used to cover dark circles plus to disguise puffiness, imperfections and pigmentation. They are applied either before (for a loose mineral powder such as our Radiant Loose Powder Foundation), or after (for a liquid format such as our Luminous Sheer Liquid Foundation) foundation to disguise any imperfections that need a little extra coverage.
Here at Nude by Nature, we have two concealers you can choose from. The first is the Flawless Concealer, which is a long wearing, stick concealer that comes in 8 shades. It’s easy to use, and expertly camouflages dark circles, pigmentation and imperfections. It’s also suitable for sensitive skin, and has been dermatologist tested. We also have the Perfecting Concealer that instantly covers dark circles and disguises puffiness and imperfections. It’s a creamy liquid concealer, and is enriched with moisturising Vitamin E, and the key ingredient is FloreEsters which reduce fine lines and dryness.
4) Eyebrows: When it comes to brows and women in their 40’s, it’s important to make sure they are well maintained and haven’t been over plucked. The eyebrows can become a little sparse as women age, so keeping them well groomed and shaped is key - also to give a more youthful appearance. Therefore, when using a make-up product the objective is to create a more fuller looking and defined brow.
Our brow collection includes three products created to define, sculpt and shape eyebrows into a perfect, natural look. The collection includes the Defining Brow Pencil, Natural Definition Brow Palette and Precision Brow Mascara. The soft, buildable formula of the Defining Brow Pencil helps to create perfectly filled and defined brows. So, if brows are becoming a little sparse, using this pencil will help fill out and define, plus the integrated spoolie brush will help blend for a natural finish. The Natural Definition Brow Palette features two brow powders that can be used alone or blended together to achieve filled and groomed brows. The third shade is a luminous highlight shade to accentuate and brighten the brows. The Precision Brow Mascara can be used to instantly shape brows, adds colour and hold for natural definition, has a buildable formula and is easy to use.
5) Eyes: Eyeliner and eyeshadow can both help to define and open the eyes. It’s a good idea to steer away from dark eyeshadows and liquid eyeliners as they can make eyes look smaller in appearance. Instead, we recommend using a creamy glide on pencil like our Contour Eye Pencil which is available in six shades to complement every eye colour, has a densely pigmented formula, an integrated smudge tip for easy blending, and is enriched with active natural ingredients like Macadamia Oil and Mango Seed Oil to impart rich colour and intense definition.
One trick to use with eyeshadow that will enhance the eyes is to switch to a neutral shadow. Lighter shades will lift and brighten the whites of the eyes, and make them look more rested. The Natural Illusion Eyeshadow Trio is available in either 01 Nude (with shades Nude, Taupe, Brown) and 03 Rose (Light Pink, Peach, Brown), and comes in either a matte, satin or satin shimmer finish. The shadow provides full colour coverage, is a lightweight powder and applies easily onto the lid. To complete the eyes, mascara will lengthen lashes and add further definition to the overall look. We suggest the Allure Defining Mascara as it is a vitamin enriched mascara that gives intensified, lengthened and separated lashes in an instant. It’s easy to use, has a buildable formula and conditions lashes over time.
6) Lips: It’s a great idea to seek out lip products that have been formulated with nourishing ingredients that are non-drying and are comfortable to wear. It’s worth investing in a lip pencil that will define the lips (which can get smaller as women age), make them appear fuller and help prevent bleeding into fine lines around the mouth.
Our 100% Natural Lip Collection is free from carmine, petroleum waxes, parabens, silicones, coal tar dyes or any synthetics. Our lip products are instead enriched with good for you 100% natural ingredients including Shea Butter, Kakadu Plum, Desert Lime and Tangerine Oil. The collection incorporates the Defining Lip Pencil, Moisture Shine Lipstick and Moisture Infusion Lipgloss. Start with the Defining Lip Pencil to provide smooth colour coverage and to contour and define the lips. Available in six shades, and composed of lip nourishing ingredients including Shea Butter and moisturising Vitamin E, the formula is long-lasting and glides on smoothly. The Moisture Shine Lipstick is a colour-rich lipstick that delivers a luminous shine finish and is available in 10 beautiful shades. The lipstick has a silky, moisturising feel and is very comfortable to wear. Lucky last is the Moisture Infusion Lipgloss. It’s been created to enhance lips with vibrant, glossy colour and is formulated with unique moisturising microspheres to help repair and plump lips for a natural, voluminous look. The lipgloss can be worn over the lip pencil and lipstick, or on its own.
7) Make-up Brushes: The last tip to mention is in regards to make-up brushes. Using the right tools to apply beauty products makes a world of difference, and will help you create a smooth, even, flawless finish. The important thing is to figure out the brushes that you need. At Nude by Nature we have a comprehensive selection of ultra-soft, high-quality synthetic fibre cruelty-free brushes. It’s possible to purchase brushes individually, or in a set such as the Ultimate Collection Professional Brush Set which comes with 9 professional make-up brushes.
We hope you’ve found this post useful, and please let us know if you have any additional tips that you’d like to share!